Area of Practice
Matthew Ryan Neuman is an associate at Wright, Shagley & Lowery, practicing primarily in the area of criminal defense, expungements, and post-conviction relief. In addition to his private practice, Matthew serves as a public defender in Clay and Sullivan Counties. As a public and private attorney, Matthew has assisted clients with various matters, from DUIs and drug possession to murder charges.
Matthew was admitted to practice law in 2022. During his first summer in law school, he clerked for Judge James R. Sweeney II on the District Court of the Southern District of Indiana. While in law school, Mr. Neuman also clerked for Brattain Minnix & Tolliver in Indianapolis, which focused its practice on federal criminal defense. During his time at Brattain Minnix & Tolliver, Mr. Neuman assisted in drafting habeas corpus petitions, compassionate release petitions, and several criminal appeals to the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Through these experiences, Mr. Neuman gained valuable experience in understanding how judges approach a case and how to advocate for clients from all backgrounds and in any situation.
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Indiana Public Defenders Council
- Board Member, FSA Counseling
Admitted to Practice
- Indiana State Supreme Court
- District Court Southern District of Indiana
- District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D., Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indiana University - Indianapolis (2022)
- B.A., International Studies, Indiana University (2019)